OTdirect: Links: Disability
- Disability Now — a campaigning disability newspaper: www.disabilitynow.org.uk
- Disabled Parents Network a UK network of disabled parents with news, helpline and a range of resources.
- YoureAble.com (www.youreable.com) disability information and news services. Lots of disability links and information. Used to be called DisabilityNet
- 4dp.com (www.4dp.com) directory of news, events and commercial products and services for disabled people.
- Disability View (www.disabilityview.co.uk) news, views and reviews.
- Disability Alliance (www.disabilityalliance.org) advice and information on benefits entitlement.
- DisabledGo (www.disabledgo.com) Directory of access guides to venues and services.
- Disabled Parents Network (www.disabledparentsnetwork.org.uk).
- Enabled London (www.enabledlondon.com) A guide to accessible amenities in London.
- Government information on Disabled Facilities Grants is available from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (www.odpm.gov.uk).
- Sportability (www.sportability.org Charity promoting a range of sports activities for disabled people.
- Ability.org.uk Lots of disability
- Disability Conciliation Service
An impartial mediator to help resolve disputes between disabled people and service providers.
- Capability Scotland
Provides a range of services to disabled children and adults in Scotland.
Information and Resources Stacks of useful links.
- Disability World Lots more
- Cinema Exhibitors' Association Card gives free cinema access in participating cinemas for carers accompanying disabled people.
- British Council of Disabled People
- Disabled Peoples' International Promotes
human rights of disabled people. Includes online newsletter.
Wheelchair Sports Foundation
- Limbless Association
Wheelchair basketball association
- Wheelchair Users Group
- The government's disability site
includes details on the 'new deal' for disabled people, the Disability Rights
Commission, the Disability Rights Task Force, Disability Discrimination Act,
Residential Training for People with Disabilities, etc.
- emPOWER charities consortium of
users of Prosthetics, Orthotics, Wheelchairs, and Environmental Controls.
- Vitalise A national charity providing breaks for disabled people and carers.
- Disabled Living Foundation
- Foundation for the Advancement of
Assistive Technology (FAST)
Mobility Centre Information, assessment and tuition on disability and
- Scope National organisation for
people with cerebral palsy.
- The Adaptive Technology Resource
- AbilityHub Assistive technology solutions for disabled people, including visual impairment solutions (US site).
- Community Legal Service (www.clsdirect.org.uk)
- rightsnet welfare rights website for advice workers (www.rightsnet.org.uk)
- EntitledTo provides free calculators to help you work out your entitlement to benefits and tax credits. (www.entitledto.co.uk)
- Adviceguide provides basic advice and information your rights, run by The National Association of Citizens Advice Bureaux (www.adviceguide.org.uk)
- Department of Work and Pensions (www.dwp.gov.uk)
- Benefits Enquiry Line: 0800 882200. Open 10am - 4pm (Mon - Fri) A
Freephone line run by the benefits agency for disabled people for
advice on all State Benefits. Written information in Braille and large print.
Minicom Service available.
- Disability Alliance: (020) 7247 8763 (www.disabilityalliance.org). A federation of
organisations for disabled people who campaign for a comprehensive income scheme
the disabled. Publishes the 'Disability Rights Handbook' plus other
books and leaflets.
- Disablement Income Group: (020) 7263 2981. Promotes the
welfare of disabled people through a programme of advocacy, fieldwork,
information, publications, research and training.
If you have any comments, corrections or suggestions about this page, please email me.
© Copyright OTdirect.co.uk 2000-2006. All material is subject to
copyright. Feel free to use it for any non-profit purposes, within your professional judgement,
but commercial use is forbidden without permission.
Last updated: 23rd July 2006
This site is designed on computers powered only by clean, green electricity from Good Energy (www.good-energy.co.uk).