OTdirect: Links: Research Resources
If you know of other useful resources, please let us know using the feedback form
at the bottom of the page.
- College of Occupational
Therapists (Free to BAOT members) Free literature searching for
BAOT members (greatly improved response times -- now able to process literature
search requests within 3 weeks) and an enquiry service for anyone with a
legitimate interest in OT. Includes AMED, CINAHL, The Cochrane Library; HMIC;
OTDBASE; OT Bibsys. The COT's website has undergone a major overhaul and will
offer access to the library catalogue for members and an enquiries facility as
well the existing literature searching and photocopy supply services.
- OTseeker Database that contains abstracts of systematic reviews and randomised controlled trials relevant to occupational therapy and evidence-based practice.
- OT CATS (Critically Appraised Topics) "A critically appraised topic (or CAT) is a short summary of evidence. It is like a shorter and less rigorous version of a systematic review, summarising the best available research evidence on a topic". This site is a new database of OT-related CATs.
- NELH: National Electronic Libraries for Health (free) A one-stop portal to a wealth of research resources including ZETOC, with "approximately 20,000 current journals and 16,000 conference proceedings published per year. With around 20 million journal and conference records, the database covers every imaginable subject in science, technology, medicine, engineering, business, law, finance and the humanities.".
(free) at the National Library of Medicine (US) "...more than 11 million
articles published in 4300 biomedical journals." Includes abstracts (not
always) and sometimes links to the full text.
Clinical search engine. Free registration.
Huge searchable journal database with directory of online journals and links to
full text articles.
- Social Care Online Searchable database for social care related journals (inc. BJOT). Abstracts viewable. Replaces the defunct Electronic Library for Social Care.
- Be Evidence Based Searchable database of key findings from critically appraised research in the field of Social Care, managed by the Centre for Evidence-Based Social Services.
- NLM Gateway allows users to search in multiple retrieval systems at the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM). The current Gateway searches MEDLINE/PubMed, OLDMEDLINE, LOCATORplus, MEDLINEplus, DIRLINE, AIDS Meetings, Health Services Research Meetings, Space Life Sciences Meetings, and HSRProj. (US -- National Libraries of Medicine).
Cochrane Library Searchable database of evidence-based practice
research articles. Abstracts only, but full text available for subscribers.
Includes The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR), The Database of
Abstracts of Reviews of Effectiveness (DARE), The Cochrane Controlled Trials
Register (CCTR), Health Technology Assessment Database and The NHS Economic
- ResearchWeb Searchable social care research database including CareData Abstracts. Although social work oriented, includes much useful data for occupational therapists.
- ingenta Journals Free search of a range of journals. Password required but registration is free. Charge for full texts.
- Center for International
Rehabilitation Research Information and Exchange Searchable
database of rehabilitation research published outside USA. Free, without
registration, includes abstracts.
- National Rehabilitation
Information Center (NARIC) Free literature search facility and --
bonus -- you can sign up for monthly emailed reports of newly published research
on a comprehensive range of specific topics. Thanks to Susan Lin for this
- Ingenta Journal
search facility. Title only, no abstracts. Password required but registration is free. Charge for full texts. Articles can be ordered
on-line. Includes AJOT, AOTJ, BJOT, CJOT, J.Occ.Sci., OTWeek, and many more. Includes the database previously known as UnCover, which is offered as an alternative search option.
- Ingenta Select Searchable database of journals with facility to order texts. Previously known as CatchWord
- BIDS Searchable database of journals. Academic users only. Password required.
- OTDBASE OT Journal
Search Service. It does charge a fee, but there are occasional open house days.
a search facility that locates full articles for on-screen viewing, includes
many health-related journals.
- BUBL (free) searchable
database of many relevant journals but not the main OT ones. Includes citations
"CANCERLIT® is a bibliographic database that contains more than 1.5
million citations and abstracts from over 4,000 different sources including
biomedical journals, proceedings, books, reports, and doctoral theses"
References and abstracts -- not full articles. Free.
- AEGiS: Huge,
searchable information database on HIV and AIDS. Unlikely that you won't find
what you're looking for here.
- COPAC (free) Gives
access to the online catalogues of some of the largest university research
libraries in the UK and Ireland.
- NMAP Searchable directory of internet
resources in Nursing, Midwifery and the Allied health Professions.
- AMED : allied and complementary medicine database Bibliographic database from the British Library.
- Wiley Interscience
Searchable index of Wiley journals, including International Journal of Geriatric
Psychiatry; Muscle & Nerve; Research in Nursing & Health; American
Journal of Industrial Medicine; Movement Disorders and others. Abstracts
available, and full text if you register. Registration is free.
- Practical Use of Research Methods for Health Professionals course study guide from York St John College.
- OMNI offers free access
to a searchable catalogue of internet sites covering health and medicine.
- McMaster Occupational Therapy Evidence-based Practice group.
- SOSIG: Social Science Information
Gateway Searchable index of social science internet resources
(mainly websites, or journal home pages, not individual articles). Free.
- UK Healthcentre
is a searchable index of health care web sites and has a comprehensive list of
Evidence Based Heathcare Database. Unfortunately, it doesn't include an
occupational therapy category.
- British Library Publications Catalogue allows you to
search the British Library.
- Zetoc provides access to the British Library's Electronic Table of Contents of current journals and conference proceedings.
- National Statistics
Searchable statistical information including health surveys.
- NDAD UK National
Digital Archive of Datasets. I found nothing of direct relevance to OT.
- The Data Archive
of the University of Essex: 'a specialist national resource containing the
largest collection of accessible computer-readable data in the social sciences
and humanities in the United Kingdom. Through these web pages it is also
possible to search the catalogues of other national archives for computer
readable data and to use the services of the Data Archive to acquire these data
on your behalf.'
- Research in Practice www.rip.org.uk Ê: "connecting practice and research to meet the needs of children and families". More social work than OT, but with some relevant items.
Sites that require a password
Most of the following are available only to academic users with
institutional accounts. If your college does not have an account with a
useful-looking service, pressurise them to get one.
- OTDBASE (not free --
password required, charged to individuals at $50 US pa) offer a literature
search service covering all the main OT journals. The advantage of this is that
services such as Medline include only some of the OT journals. There is a fee,
but they do run occasional 'open house' sessions when you can search the
database free of charge.
- OT Search
(Not free -- Password required) Search facility includes all the main OT
journals, run by AOTA. UK OTs should note that this search facility is one of those included in the free literature searches run by the COT for BAOT members.
- OCLC Firstsearch
General bibliographical search facility. Password required. Academic users only.
- Index to Theses
Searchable database of theses accepted for higher degrees since 1970. Password
required. Academic users only.
- Edina Bibliographic
search facilities. Password required. Academic users only.
e-journal service. Includes AOTJ and Scandinavian J.OT.
- Jstor e-journal
service. Not directly relevant to OT.
I have not thoroughly tested the calculators listed, so you are recommended
to check the results. Please let me
know of any successful or problematic sites by email.
University Statistics helper Guides you through a set of questions
that will choose the appropriate statistical test. Very useful.
allows you to generate a web-based survey and mail the URL to the people you wish to survey. I don't know how questions of confidentiality are resolved.
Downloadable shareware statistics calculator programme. Includes Spearman,
Chi-Square, simple linear regression, etc. Also includes a tutorial on questionnaire and survey design.
allows you to generate email surveys if you know the email addresses of the people you wish to survey.
- Hyperstat online
a guide to statistics with links to online calculators.
If you have any comments, corrections or suggestions about this page, please email me.
Last updated: 6th July 2010. Editor: Mike Griffin, OT (field of practice: community physical disability, UK). Any opinions expressed are the author's own unless otherwise stated. © Copyright OTdirect.co.uk 2000-2010. All material is subject to copyright. Feel free to use it for any non-profit purposes, within your professional judgement, but commercial use is forbidden without permission.
This site is designed on computers powered only by clean, green electricity from Good Energy (www.good-energy.co.uk).